Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Packing for a weekend getaway

Photo courtesy Daytime Night Owl


As I mentioned previously, I am going on a trip. It is going to be a short excursion, a weekend trip, and I am really struggling with packing. I am the kind of person who always prepares for everything, including the most unexpected. My thoughts begin to run wild with all of the what if questions and I lose control and pack everything but the kitchen sink.

What if it gets cold?
What if we go out?
What if I need to dress up?
What if it is extremely hot and I only pack jeans?
What if I need tennis shoes and only take sandals?
What if I start to feel a cold coming on?
What if I get diarrhea?
What if I lose a contact?
What if my hair freaks out (you know, because I have curly hair and it has a mind of its own)?

The weather for my destination currently reads 77 and rain for all three days that I am going to be there. RAIN? Hello humidity! Seriously, do you know what that does to my hair? And that means, possibly, no outdoor activities but…

What if it stops raining and we can play outside?

If the forecast changes (which is always possible) and the rain moves on, that means I can wear sandals instead of closed shoes.

What if I only take closed shoes and the inclement weather subsides and my feet roast off?

See, there are so many what ifs running through my mind. I have to stop and remind myself that I will survive regardless of what I forget or don’t have on hand. I will be fine if I take less. I AM ONLY GOING TO BE GONE 2 DAYS! I fly in Friday night and fly out Sunday afternoon. How many possibilities can there really be and what I don’t have I can borrow or buy. Still, my anxiety intensifies.

As I started making my packing list (I am a list-maker, no doubt about it), I start to wonder why I it always seems like I take ten times more beauty and toiletry items than anything else. (Is this an indication of vanity?) Toiletry items usually take up more than half the space in my suitcase. Is that crazy or what? Look at my list thus far:


  • Toothbrush

  • Toothpaste

  • Contact solution

  • Contact case

  • Glasses

  • Soap (I always have to take my own soap because I have sensitive skin and a very sensitive nose.)

  • Razor

  • Shampoo

  • Conditioner (I always take my own because I have temperamental hair.)

  • Mousse

  • Hair ties (For my temperamental hair because you never know when it will freak out.)

  • Brush

  • Comb

  • Hairdryer (with special attachment for my curly hair)

  • Straightener

  • Hairspray

  • Face lotion

  • Makeup

  • Body lotion (I take my own small bottle because I have sensitive skin and it has to be unscented.)

For two days, I will be taking all this stuff! For a trip of any length, I haul all this stuff. This is one of my biggest reservations about going on any type of vacation or weekend getaway is having to lug so many things.

So what is a girl to do? Not care about what I look like and leave all the crap to home? How do I conquer my what ifs and vain ways? Does anyone else have this problem or am I completely off my rocker?

No comments:

Post a Comment