Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Flying...in a thunderstorm?

As I sit here obsessively checking the forecast every hour for my getaway destination in hopes that the weather will change, I find that, not only is it supposed to rain, but there will be thunderstorms when I fly in and when I fly out. As if it isn't bad enough that I have severe motion sickness (or, at least, what I consider severe) that causes me to ask to sit towards the front of the plane in an attempt to avoid throwing up, now add lightening and turbulence to the mix. That's a great combination for crying children and a barf-fest.

Don't misunderstand. I LOVE thunderstorms. When I'm on the ground. Not flying at 35,000 feet in the air in a metal, winged rocket. Ok, ok. So supposedly planes are struck all the time by lightening and it is no big deal. It is perfectly ok to fly through a storm and it is done all the time. Some even say that the flashes of light disrupting the pilots view and the turbulence are more dangerous than the lightening striking the plane itself. However, turbulence equals barfing (see above).

I truly am not afraid of flying. I really just want everything to go as smoothly as possible. The older I get, the more easily motion causes me to feel woozy. (Don't ask me. I don't know what age has to do with it. Maybe it's just a weird coincidence.) I don't want to get off the plane and be worthless for the rest of the night because I am only there for a short time.

Ah, well, what can anyone really do? Take some Dramamine and hope for the best right?

No comments:

Post a Comment