Thursday, August 6, 2009

Here’s what goin’ on

This week has been a little, well, blah. I’m not overly tired, but I am feeling a bit of weariness from getting up earlier than I am used to, working long 10 hour days and working six days out of seven a week. I promise you, I am not complaining. I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to work some extra hours and stash away a little extra cash.

In addition to the earlier mornings and long hours, it is summer time. The season that I yearn for all year long. When summer finally makes its long awaited appearance, the warm weather and sunshine seem to come and go so quickly. I am trying to make it a point to enjoy the warmth and sunshine even though, most nights, I would rather go home and crawl into bed.

The weekends have been action packed and there are no signs of slowing. Last weekend, one of my best girl friends brought a new life into this world. I spent a great deal of Saturday in the town left behind visiting with her and her new baby boy. Of course, no Saturday is complete without a trip to Wal-Mart and the loss of a $100 bill. A sly purchase made by My Friend resulted in a Saturday night game of Monopoly. I am learning that My Friend has a tendency to talk a big game and then get his butt kicked. The game is not over yet, but let me just tell you that I am way ahead.

Photo courtesy Hasbro

Photo courtesy Daytime Night Owl

Sunday, My Friend surprised me with a trip to the zoo. Giraffes and zebras and impalas, oh my!

Photo collection courtesy Daytime Night Owl

It was such a nice surprise considering I have no recollection of ever going to the zoo in my life. I am sure I have, but I really don’t remember. It was a beautiful sunny day with a nice breeze. It wasn’t too crowded and we did not encounter any rude people. The day went off without a hitch. The only unfortunate incident that I encountered was in the restroom. Everyone always stops at the restroom when they arrive and, of course, the smallest restroom in the joint is near the entrance. Three whole stalls for a mass of people. As I am standing in line, the girl in front of me suddently turns towards the door, covers her mouth and blows chunks everywhere. (And I mean chunks!) I felt really bad for her, but there was really nothing anyone could do for her. As soon as the next stall became available, I got in and out and made sure to thoroughly wash my hands. Apparently, vomiting did not deter her from attempting to enjoy the zoo because I saw her again 4+ hours later when we were leaving.

After the zoo and the hour and a half drive home, we headed to the house of a friend of My Friend for dinner. Dinner was delicious (um, anytime you have steak, you will never hear a complaint from me). I finally made it home at 9 pm and dropped myself on the couch for about a half hour. When I could no longer keep my eyes open, I fell into bed.

The coming weekend will be no less busy. Two of my very dear friends are coming into town. One Friday night from Florida. One Saturday night from Tennessee. Both will be here for longer than the weekend, thankfully, because I am not sure I’ll have time to see them. Saturday will be work in the morning, boating with mom in the afternoon (I have to go or she will be upset because I have cancelled on her twice already), then a graduation in the evening, possibly followed by meeting a friend for a drink or dinner. Sunday is an all day outing at a baseball game.

Whew…I’m tired just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment